Thursday 25 April 2013

Making a Case for What I Am About to Undertake

Meet my newly compiled mending/project pile.  


Welcome to "In the Name of Thrift".  This post marks the beginning of a project that I have started to make the most of what I have, and to never send anything to a thrift store because it is something I've used to bits (and likely no one will want to buy anyway).  I am a big believer in making the most of what you have so this is my public attempt to practice what I preach and share my successes and failures as I go.

Reasons why:

1. Dumping what you don't want on Third World economies is bad and that is usually what happens to stuff at a thrift store that doesn't get purchased.  I do not want to add to that problem with my personal junk.  (Here is the most helpful thing I have read about charities or companies that do that.) 
2. Getting rid of stuff so you can get more stuff creates an attitude of dissatisfaction with what you have.  Obviously when stuff wears out beyond being used again it should be replaced if it's essential, but I hope to stay away from the unhealthy cycle of buying things to feel like my life is fulfilling.
3. Wasting what you have is bad.  Enough said.
4. Mending and sewing techniques are something that are gradually disappearing from collective knowledge and I hope to continue in that long line of tradition and pass what I have gained down to my own future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment